Sunday, August 10, 2014

Starting My Ripple

Who doesn't like stories?

 Well today I will tell you a little of my story. I have been a quilter as long as I can remember, in fact I have memories of sitting at my Grandmother's knee while she hand pieced quilt tops from old clothes and sewing scraps. I still have one of her treasured, thread bare quilts.

My life has been kind of like that quilt. I have always been able to take the scraps and left overs and create a beautiful masterpiece!

Years ago I was content in life....I had a beautiful home, a job I enjoyed, a husband and a longarm quilting machine business.
Then one day my life blew up in my face! My husband of 18 years left me. Through the process of divorce I lost my home, many possessions and my treasured quilting machine. I ended up in bankruptcy.
Needless to say I had to close down my long arm quilting business. But I promised myself I would one day have another long arm quilting machine and start another business. I almost have enough money saved to fulfill that dream.

I believe that when one door closes, God always opens another door...that God guides us down the path we need at that point in our life. I have learned to listen to my intuition....or as my Grandmother used to say "I know in my knower".

Shortly after my marriage ended, I decided I would change careers and become a flight attendant. It is a job I love very much....I enjoy interacting with the passengers, have amazing co-workers and get to travel to interesting places.

But it appears God has another change in my life's path in mind.

A few months ago I developed periods of vertigo, ringing in my ears and temporary bouts of hearing loss. These symptoms are always exacerbated while flying.
I've been diagnosed with Menier's Disease.
It may resolve itself on it's own or it may not. I am on medication and only time will tell.

It appears I may have to give up my job as a Flight Attendant. But I "know in my knower" that God has a new path for me to journey down.

While driving home from visiting my mother today (I will tell you all about the journey my mother has been on the past few months in a later post) I was carrying on one of my many conversations with God and I distinctly heard Him tell me to "Start a Ripple".

We all know that if we throw a tiny pebble into the water it starts a wave that undulates out in ever widening circles....we never know where or when that ripple will end.

I knew that God was telling me to start a new quilting project. My mind was so busy thinking of all the possibilities that my 2 hour drive seemed to fly by.

I have always considered quilting to be an amazing thing....
* it heals, not only the quilter but often the recipient of that quilt.
*quilting expands our creative mind, develops our imagination, gets our problem solving skills involved.
*quilting builds relationships and I believe it can transform lives, friendships and communities.

Quilting is more than the creation of bed coverings....it is a true art form, a vehicle of transformation, a builder of self esteem, comforting and life changing.

So today I am "Starting My Ripple".

I hope you follow along with me. It will be a mystery where this Ripple leads.
Who doesn't like a mystery????

Happy Rippling!!!!!

Wanda










No comments:

Post a Comment