Sunday, August 24, 2014

I Wonder How This One Block Wonder Will Turn Out????

I had never made a One Block Wonder Quilt. I don't have the book, but had seen lots of pictures of quilts and thought I could figure it out on my own.
I really loved this fabric when I bought it, and later realized it was not the best choice for this quilt. I fell out of love with it and it ended up on the UFO pile.

Time to move it along. Maybe I will fall back in love with it!!!!
Here is the stage that I got stalled at when it ended up in the UFO pile. I hung this up on the design wall the other day.

 This is what I plan to use for the wide outer borders.

 These are the fabrics (all from the same fabric line) that I used for the kaleidoscope blocks. It is called "Asian Influences  Studio Design by Wilmington Gardens".

If you have ever made one of these quilts or a Stack & Whack, you know that you have a strip of your stacked identical fabric repeat left over at the end of cutting your "block kits". 
Well I had lots left and I just cut them down into smaller block kits...some measuring 3" and some 2-1/2". They ended up really cute and I wanted to use them up.
I decided to incorporate them into my borders. I spend almost 12 hours working on them yesterday.

 The sections are all joined to each other and up on my design wall.



I really wanted to introduce some light blue into this quilt to liven it up some....but alas.....my stash revealed a severe lack of light blue fabrics!!!
I decided on the green. I thought I had enough to do this border, but last night I ran out. 
My motto is there are no mistakes.....just design opportunities!

Today I will be exploring those design opportunities......stay watching to see what I come up with.
Happy Quilting,
Wanda

1 comment:

  1. Dear Wanda, thank you for writing about your One Block Wonder on SB. I just had to hop on here and have a look. Your quilt looks amazing. I love the colour play and the little blocks in the border. Can't wait to see the finished top. Hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete