Monday, August 25, 2014

I'm on a Roll!!!

Last night I finished piecing my Asian One Block Wonder quilt top....oh boy, was I tired. My back hurt, my feet hurt. I even felt the muscles in my abdomen from all that rotary cutting.



This is an in progress, design figuring out photo....I was about half way done the quilt. I had planned to do mitered corners on the border....but I didn't have enough fabric and I didn't like the way the miter looked with the different prints coming together at the corners.




So I chopped them off, fussy cut some little vases from the one print I used, framed them with more of the pink inner border fabric and added them in the corners. 
I'm really happy with the way the borders ended up.




This is "Part" of the finished quilt top hanging on my design wall. The thing is HUGE!!! 96" x 100".
I couldn't get the entire quilt in the picture, as my quilt studio isn't big enough for me to stand that far back. So you can see about 2/3 of the quilt top. It is hanging right up near the ceiling and then hung on the floor another six inches.
 I don't know if I love it yet or not. My sister thinks it is the most beautiful quilt I've ever made....and I've made a TON of quilts over the years.
I think once I have quilted it I will fall back in love with it.

Here is a close up of the corners.

I do like how the little kaleidoscope blocks dance around the inner border.


Another shot of the opposite corner.

So I was really tired by the time I got the last border on...it was 7:30 pm and I thought I can't quit yet, I still have  daylight left and can't go to bed yet.
Maybe I'll just piece the binding and get that rolled up ready to put on the quilt once it is quilted. 
Well I finished the binding in no time flat. The binding is an Asian print black with green. It will look really nice and pull the black from the inner blocks out to frame the quilt.


I had the bolt of fabric I wanted to use for the backing sitting under my ironing board.....Maybe I could just rip off the three lengths that I was going to have to piece  together and have them sitting there ready for me to sew together in the morning when I am rested.
Well before I knew it I had the backing all sew together......now that's what I call "mindless" sewing.....I didn't even realize I was sitting there sewing it together until I was all done. LOL

So the quilt top, backing and binding are now hanging all together on a clothes hanger in my quilt closet.

So far on my 30 quilt challenge I have completed 3 "quilt packages".....everything prepared and ready to go on my new long arm machine when I get it.

I kind of goofed off today....but not really. I spent the day sitting at my machine making 4 patches and Half Square Triangle units. Not for any specific quilt I have in mind. Just didn't feel like thinking too hard today about anything. 
The way I look at it....progress is progress.

I think I'll get in a few more hours at the machine tonight working on my stack of pre-cut squares.

Happy Quilting,
Wanda



1 comment:

  1. Wanda, I've been reading your post the past week since you've been posting links in BrushBunch. I LOVE this quilt. Looks like a flower garden to me.

    ReplyDelete