Friday, September 12, 2014

The Wandering Quilter is Back!

It has been so long since my last blog post. But I have not been idle.
After finishing my Lattice Stars Quilt, I dug out my Quilty Gals. 
You know those printed panels that we all love. The printed blocks are never on grain, but I love them so much. 
I had bought about 3 different fabrics lines with a quilting/sewing theme. I had cut out all the blocks with the quilty ladies and then set them aside a few years ago. It was time to resurrect them!!!!

I started by sewing 3 rows of strips to the wonky blocks.....courthouse steps style. My first row was 1-1/2" strips, second row 2-1/2" strips, final row 3 strips. 
I then "wonked" the blocks by twisting them either left or right and cutting off a narrow wedge shape from each side. 
Here are some of the blocks hanging on my design wall.
 More Blocks! 

 This is my favorite block....don't you just love the buttons for her bra. 


 I pulled lots of strips from my strips drawers to add to this quilt.
And like I often do I sewed way too many blocks.....I have enough left over for 2 more quilts.
 Hmmmmm.....I happen to have 2 sisters and although they resisted this crazy quilting bug for many years guess what? 
They are now both quilting. In fact my one sister bought herself a Grace quilting machine recently.

So after a few days getting my blocks to this stage I had to take a break.
My sister was going on vacation, and as she is the primary caregiver for my mother, I went to stay with mom while she was away. I was gone 8 days.
While there I worked on Spider Web blocks.....lots more work to do on those.
I also worked on a few blocks for my Dear Jane quilt.....that project has been in the works for 15 years and I still have a long way to go.

After returning home on Tuesday I went to work on my Quilty Gals quilt again.
Made lots of filler strips....those are so much fun to do. I put a lot of Seminole piecing in this quilt.
I also take the trimmed off wedge shapes from wonking the blocks and sew them together......what I call "Poverty Piecing". Then I use those as some of my fillers.
I love making these Wonky quilts. Another term I use for these quilts is "Barely Square" as those pre-printed panels are never printed on grain and are barely square. LOL

Here are the blocks on my design wall with some fillers added already. I had the first 3 rows sewn together at this point. This is a very colorful, busy quilt but I just love it!


 My original idea was to put a border of Spool Blocks as a second border.....but the quilt was just getting huge so I scrapped that idea. I ended up just using a 1" narrow border of red, then a 4" outer border. 
The quilt was too big to photograph on my design wall, so here it is hanging over my loft railing. The quilt measures 86" x 94". 


Look at those log cabin blocks....those are leftovers from a round robin quilt border I did years ago.....using up left overs is one of the things I love about these quilts.

See the Poverty Piecing strip beside the log cabin blocks....don't you just love it? 



More Seminole piecing strips....the black/purple/green strip is a fun one to make. I love, love, love Seminole Piecing!!!!
Well, this Quilty Gals quilt is now a finished flimsy.....still have to sew the backing and binding and it will be ready to quilt.

Today I'm having an easy day.....sewing rail fence blocks from all my left over 2-1/2" strips.
Quilty Hugs,
Wanda

No comments:

Post a Comment