Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Buzz Saw Quilt

I actually finished this quilt day before yesterday, but got busy working on another quilt and forgot to do a blog update.
 This quilt measures 100"x 100"....a very good size for my bed.

 I have named it Buzz Saw....I kind of just made up the design as I went along. I started with large squares. I think I used 10" squares. I placed a print and background square right sides together, drew a line diagonally from corner to corner and then stitched 1/4" either side of that line. Then cut on the drawn line, ending up with 2 Half Square Triangles, which I then cut into four sections. Mix them all up and sew the blocks. I then added an extra 2" strip to one side of the block quarter. Then rotate each block quarter and sew 4 into the larger block. I'm sure there is an available pattern out there somewhere for this quilt, but I like to just wing it and do my own thing.
  I used all my border fabric so I don't have enough for binding. I used the red print that I used for the narrow inner border to make my binding.

I also made pillow shams to match the quilt....this is the first time I've ever made pillow shams to go with a quilt. I'm not too sure what prompted that decision. LOL
Here is a picture of one sham hanging on my ironing board.


I don't want a pieced backing on this quilt and I have no wide backings in my stash, so I will wait to find some on sale in the future. I will use that same fabric for the pillow sham backs as well. I think I will also make piping for the pillow shams from my binding I have already made.
So quilt top is pieced, binding made, shams pieced and it's hanging in my quilt closet awaiting backing and to be quilted.
This makes "quilt package" number 12 of my intended 30 for my personal challenge before March 31, 2015.
I am making great progress and think I will complete those 30 "quilt packages" long before my deadline.

One thing I have been concentrating on the past few weeks is that when I pull a UFO project out and put it up on my design wall, I am determined to finish it and not put it away again until I am done.
I am feeling a great satisfaction completing these projects!
And I have realized I have WAY MORE projects on the go than I originally thought!
I have unearthed lots I had forgotten about.

I am working on a batik quilt now.....and I have named it "What Was I Thinking!!!!!" LOL
It is a Garden Maze design....I will post it tomorrow and you will see why I keep asking myself that question not only when I pulled it out but repeatedly while working on the quilt. LOL

I have it to the border stage now. I'm hoping I can finish it tonight.

Quilty Hugs, Wanda

No comments:

Post a Comment