Monday, September 15, 2014

A Scrappy Mish Mash!

This is the UFO top I posted about yesterday morning.
At first I planned a HST border and I worked on it for hours! 
But once I got 2 side borders done I didn't like it with the quilt and they weren't playing nice! My measurements were all off and the borders didn't fit.
So I pulled them off the design wall, folded them and put them away!!!
I had some String Blocks I had been working on and thought I wonder how those would look....I had almost enough to go around the quilt. I think I had to make 4 more.
Then what to do with the corners? 
My string border was cut at 6", so finishes at 5-1/2".
My HST blocks in the quilt top finished at 6" so they were 6-1/2" unfinished.
I solved that problem by trimming down my HST units and squares to 3-1/4" instead of 3-1/2".
Everything just fit perfectly and I got up early this morning and applied the borders, pieced the backing and made the binding. 
All are hanging in my quilt closet waiting to go on the longarm. Nice.




I went digging in my UFO's this morning and unearthed this. It was all packaged up in a large bag with all the fabrics I was using and some more pieced blocks that are currently sitting on the floor beneath the design wall. 
I remember starting this in 2001 and I remember thinking I don't really like pink and green quilt. LOL
So I lost interest and put it away.
Time to resurrect it and get it completed. 
Actually in the photo I think it looks very nice. I just might find I do like it after all after I have gotten it a little further along.
This is one of my own designs. I obviously like the blocks as I have another quilt I made 7 years ago with the same blocks.
 A close up of the blocks.

 This Carpenter's Wheel block was also in the bag with the other quilt. It's made with some of the same fabrics.
Wonder what my plan was for that?
Carpenter's Wheel is one of my favorite blocks and I think there just might be another quilt in my future using this block. Interesting!!!!

Well, it is just after 9:00 am. I am off to spend the day with my Dear Mom.

Quilty Hugs to Everyone.
Wanda

1 comment:

  1. Wow - love the effect of the borders on the triangles quilt - good solution! Am looking forward to the next instalment of the other two projects.

    ReplyDelete