Saturday, September 13, 2014

Quilts are just like Sour Dough Starter!

I was thinking about this. Quilts are like sour dough starter. 
I start with an idea for a quilt. 
I make that quilt and I always have block parts, blocks, strips, fabrics left over. 
So I put my thinking cap on and come up with a plan to use up those left over parts. 
I pull from my fabric stash, add a few more fabrics...just like making "sour dough starter" and soon I have another quilt.....with more left over parts!!! 
And so it goes. One quilt leads to another which leads to another, which leads to another.

Day before yesterday I was looking through my strips bins. 

My 2-1/2" bin had been well used but there were a bunch of strips in there that I call my "nasties"! 
Scraps from clothing I made in the 80's and 90's. Christmas prints, large florals etc.
 I didn't like them, some of them were really old and I wasn't using them in projects. 

So I decided to just take them all out and use them up in a Rail Fence quilt. 
I figured the worst that could happen was I'd not like the quilt and would then donate it.

Three strips sewn together measured 6-1/2", so I cut blocks that size. I needed 120 blocks for a throw size quilt.
Any strips sets that were too short to cut 6-1/2" blocks I cut into 2-1/2" units to make 9 patch blocks.....sour dough starter again. LOL
My next quilt will use those 9 patch blocks.

I finished up the  "Sour Dough Rail Fence" this afternoon. Backing is pieced and binding is made....all ready to quilt. 
Wow, I feel good. A completed flimsy in 2 days and I used all those "nasties" up!
And the quilt looks pretty good and I really like it. Imagine that!!!!

 I used a Debbie Mumm fabric for the outer borders.

But see that inner yellow border? 
When I opened up that fabric I found cat hair on it! I haven't owned a cat in almost 14 years. LOL 
Moldy, oldy!
Maybe I should call this quilt "Memories of MoJo". That was my cat's name.

 Here are the completed blocks up on the design wall before I started webbing the top.


I am very happy with this quilt. It measures 75" x 94". 
Sometimes simple is best I think. 
KISS 
(keep it simple silly).

Quilty Hugs,
Wanda


No comments:

Post a Comment